Thursday, June 4, 2009

did i mention there was an essay?

So the writing section was totally fun for me.  It had been so long since I was asked to write an essay.  Working in marketing and product development for the last three years has meant that my dialogue was all super-short and efficient.  No flowery words, and no frills.  Usually, I was communicating with vendors in China and whatnot, so my language skills have been “refined” to put it nicely. 

I was worried a bit about that, but then again, I’m sure out of a 20 page paper from my past, 11 pages worth was stuff that was totally b.s., unimportant, irrelevant, etc.  So I was trying to liken myself to Abe Lincoln, when he made that super-short speech and that one guy said that Abe expressed in a few words, what he had tried to say in a few hours.  Or something like that.

Did you know Abe Lincoln was designed by a man who was closely connected to the Deaf community?  Good ol’ Lincoln signed legislation way back in the day that allowed for Gallaudet University, the first Deaf college, to be established.  If you look at Abe’s hands in the monument, his left hand is loosely making the hand-sign for the letter “a” and the right is making a slight “l”, for his initials. 

Totally cool.  Totally random.

No comments:

Post a Comment